1999-2005 BMW 3 Series (E46) Service Repair Manual
This BMW Repair Manual: 3 Series (E46): 1999-2005 is a comprehensive source of service information and technical specifications available for the BMW E46 platform 3 Series models from 1999 to 2005. Whether you’re a professional or a do-it-yourself BMW owner, this manual will help you understand, care for and repair your car.
Though the do-it-yourself 3 Series owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
BMW E46 models and engines covered in this repair manual:
(M52 TU, 2.5 liter engine)
(M52 TU, 2.8 liter engine)
(M54 / M56, 2.5 liter engine)
(M54, 3.0 liter engine)
(S54, 3.2 liter Motorsport engine)
New durable hardcover format – This manual is now being published as a durable, long-lasting hardcover book designed to withstand frequent use in a professional shop or home garage. All of the content of the previous softcover edition is included.
- Procedures for everything from oil change service to interpreting the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). This manual tells you what to do and when to do it.
- Engine and cylinder head service, including valve clearance adjustment on the S54 engine.
- Information for specific driveability problems, including explanation of engine management systems and BMW OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).
- Theory of operation and repair information for Siemens MS 42.0, MS 43.0, MS 45.1 and MS S54 engine management, resonance/turbulence intake manifold and Double VANOS (Variable Camshaft Timing).
- Drivetrain maintenance, troubleshooting, adjustment and repair of self-adjusting clutch (SAC), gearshift linkage, driveshaft, drive axles and, wheel drive system.
- Manual, sequential manual (SMG), and automatic transmission removal, installation, seal replacement and external service.
- System description and repair information for Antilock Brakes (ABS), Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).
- Heating and air conditioning repair (IHKA and IHKR), including component replacement.
- Body adjustments and repairs, including sunroof, convertible top and tailgate.
- Wiring schematics, including power distribution and ground locations.
- Dedicated electrical component guide specifying relay, control module and ground locations with detailed illustrations and photos.